Sunday, September 27, 2009

Q&A with Cd'A Soul Songstress Jesi B.

Coeur d'Alene's hottest R&B/Funk/Soul act is without a doubt Jesi B. & the All Rites. Led by pragmatic singer Jesi Gaboury, the all-original quartet has been causing outbursts of spontaneous grooving among local audiences since forming in 2007.

Over the past summer, they were a must-see highlight at several music festivals at O’Shays and successfully made some rumblings in the finicky Spokane scene as well. Their gig this coming Friday, October 2 at the Coeur d’Alene Brewing Company, located at 2nd and Lakeside, should be entertainingly uproarious as ever. Miss Jesi was kind enough recently to sit down and answer some of my burning questions.

Q: You are such an amazingly musical diva, from hosting karaoke and open mikes to fronting your very own R&B band. Did you have a musical childhood? How did it all begin?

Jesi B: I grew up in Coeur d' Alene and was always involved in the special chorus for school. I didn't find out until 9th grade that I sounded good by myself. I started doing a lot of live theater and sometimes after the shows the grown ups would sneak me into the bar for karaoke. It was a slippery slope from there.

Q. Tell me about the rest of the All-Rites. Are they the Pips to your Gladys Knight? How did you all get together?

Jesi B: The All-Rites are comprised of three elements, Justyn Priest on guitar, Tanner Aunan on the bass, and Brian Burke on drums. They are nothing at all like the Pips. They are far too busy laying down the slammin' groove to dance around. JP and I met while I was working at the Cd'A Brewing Company and he and Tanner came over to my basement for a jam session and we all clicked. Brian joined our crew about a year ago and completed the sound.

Q: What are 5 albums you'd want with you if you were stranded on a desert island?

Jesi B: Ben Harper and the Relentless 7 – “White Lies for Desperate Times”, John Legend - “Get Lifted”, Bob Marley and the Wailers – “Chant Down Babylon”, Ani Difranco – “Not So Soft”, Red Hot Chili Peppers – “Mothers Milk".

Q: What's the craziest thing that ever happened back in the day when you were hosting Karaoke down at the old Fort Ground Tavern? I have some fond but weird memories.

Jesi B: People dancing on the bar and rallying the troops for 3 a.m. naked swimming at the city beach. I never lost my clothes but I totally had to run interference with the college security officers.

Q: Name a few of your favorite other local musicians or bands and why you dig them.

Jesi B: I love Cure All Remedy from Spokane for their uncompromising energy. Smoky smooth songstress Kristen Marlo, also from Spokane is fantastic. Cd’A’s Ozmo Boogie always provides unadulterated endorphins. Also, Ron Greene from Cd’A floors me every time.

Q: Any plans for Jesi B. and the All-Rites to hit the recording studio or maybe put out a quality live recording? The world needs to hear it.

Jesi B: Actually, we are currently working on recording. We have some quality live tracks on our MySpace now. Check it out at www..myspace.com/JesiBandtheallrites.




Q. What should we expect to see from you guys this Friday when you play the Cd’A Brewpub this Friday?

Jesi B: There's going to be more soul, more grit. Whiskey straight from the jug, you dig? Remember when you first ate bubble gum ice cream and you realized your not just eating ice cream, you’re getting gum too. It’s a two for one. You walk away with something. Our show is going to leave you with something to chew on.

Q: Someone offers to buy you a drink. What do you order and why?

Jesi B: It depends, usually I just drink beer but if they look rich I go for the Grey Goose!

Q: If you were a flavor of Ice Cream, what flavor would you be and why?

Jesi B: Ben and Jerry's White Russian. I'm smooth and you can't have just one bite...

No comments: