Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Get Out Mailbag: June Afternoon Edition

Golly, it seems like it's been way too many rainy months since I've dipped into the sunshiny Get Out mailbag, so let's get this donut hole rolling.

Dear Get Out!,
I am happy that you had the opportunity to sample the wares at Famous Willies BBQ, in Post Falls. I had heard about it about 2 months ago and drove down from Sagle to taste the new Q palace. I have been a BBQ fan for a long time, and got word that this place was good. Oh yes, it is Good!

I volunteer at Sagle Fire on occasion, and like to bring back meals for the fellows on duty, when I get to Spokane or Post Falls, or CDA. After another volunteer firefighter and I completed our chores in Post Falls and CDA, I said I would treat for a meal at the new restaurant. We got sampler plates and liked everything they prepared. I ordered a meal for 4 people, as there are usually 3 regular paid firefighters on duty, plus at least 1 volunteer.

I asked them to prepare it for a trip back to Sagle, with a stop at the CDA Costco store. The waitress that served us packed a really nice meal, and found a large aluminum turkey pan, which she filled with ice, and the meal, and covered it extensively with aluminum wrap. The BBQ meal was fine after nearly 2 hours of shopping and driving back to Sagle.

All of the firefighters were very impressed with the meal, and planned to visit the CDA BBQ restaurant in the future.

Thanks for the nice write up.
Jim
Dear Jim,
I probably shouldn't explain in too much detail here, but my friends Cindy H. and Digger would be very interested in meeting you and the other firefighters for a long afternoon of hot, sloppy casual BBQ. Just let me know the when and where, and I'll make the arrangements. 
Dear Get Out!
I have enjoyed eating Chinese food all my life, but have only found good Chinese food in B.C. and San Francisco. I grew up in Vancouver, B.C. and as a family our cuisine treat was my dad taking us to Chinatown for terrific Chinese food. Later, I traveled all over B.C. in my job and ate Chinese food in every town I stayed at. I could always find good 'American/Canadian' style Chinese food no matter where I was at.

I should qualify that there is a lot of difference between 'real' Chinese food (duck etc.) and the Americanized Chinese food. I like them both. In B.C. I normally just order Chow Mein, rice, Chop Suey, Sweet and Sour spareribs and prawns.

Here is what I have never understood. Why can you get good Chinese food all over B.C. and only get "muck" in the states? I have always wondered why some of these Canadian Chinese cooks do not come down here and open up Chinese restaurants here? I still travel to Canada a lot and find good Chinese food in places like Penticton. Summerland, Kamloops etc. Then of course the ultimate is in Vancouver. It is real sad to say that the closest thing to edible Chinese food I have found in Cd'A, is at the Safeway deli. If you hit right, when the food is freshly put out, it is not too bad. Other then that, I think every Chinese restaurant I have tried in Cd'A is more "muck" then anything.

A real treat is to go to a Chinese restaurant in Vancouver and have a "Dim Sum" feast!! I assume you know what that is.

One caveat, I have never found decent Mexican food in Canada, so for us it is Chinese food in Canada (B.C.) and Mexican food here.

Roy
Dear Roy,
Honestly, I've never had Chinese foor in B.C., but I am fully ready to back up your cause. Where do we begin? We need a name, some t-shirts. "American Secret Society for Canadian-American Chinese in America". ASSCACA, for short. Er, maybe not...
Dear Get Out!
We have a NY style deli/bakery in Sandpoint on the Cedar St. Bridge called Old Geezers and we serve the Best Reuben in Idaho, if you're in the area, stop by and check us out.
Dear Steve,
"The best Reuben in Idaho", eh? That's a pretty loft claim, but I'm certainly willing to give it the old college try. I'm only recently getting into the Reuben scene. I poo-pooed rye bread for years, but tastes change with age (don't go there!) and now I've got some catching up to do. So far, Kelly's Irish pub beats Schlotzky's by several miles, but in the the forthcoming Sunday S-R column, I'll be investigating the fine specimen at the Big Bear Deli in Post Falls. Bring on the Kraut!
Dear Get Out!
I read your article in the "Handle Extra" section the the Spokesman Review, and have a question for you. First, I will explain that I bought a phonograph that not only plays CD's, LP's, 78's, 45's & tapes, but cuts CD's from any of the above.

I have about 250-300 (I have yet to count them) LP's, mostly from my parents, and as my kids and grandkids say, all "old peoples's music." I won't bother to list them - too varied, and includes a LOT of piano music - my mother's favorite. Question: how and where would be the best way to sell them? After I'm finished burning them, I won't be using them anymore - my main aim is to be able to hear them all as CD's while in my car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Roger

Dear Roger,
The obvious answer: Ebay or Craigslist. The less obvious answer: Keep your ears open for the annual Spokane Record Swap. Record collectors and dealers from all over the area get together for a weekend and it's open to the public to come in and see if anyone is interested in buying your record pile.

As someone who has worked in record shops (and I've done these shows as well), "old people music" isn't exactly the hottest hing going. The rule of thumb is, the bigger name the artist, the more collectible. There is still a lot of demand for classic jazz and swing like Ella Fitzgerald and Glenn Miller and old Broadway albums, and of course early soul and rock and roll. There is NOT however any demand at all for easy listening like the Mantovani Orchestra or the Three Suns or old church records (the thrist stores are clogged with them), so if that's all you've got don't even bother. If all else fails, melt them into bowls or turn them into clocks and sell them at flea markets or on Etsy. good luck!

Dear Get Out,
Big thank you to you for your recent column on Great Harvest. Next time you visit, please ask for the Cranberry Cream Cheese to be made with the sauces separate. This is not an unusual request and I am sure that it will pass your standards. I am pleased that at least you came back for a second try. Customer service and quality is what we are about. Thanks for hitting that on the nail. We are proud to be the hometown bakery in Coeur d' Alene. Surprise us anytime.

Enjoy your column,
Teresa Cipicchio
Owner, Great Harvest Bread Co.
Dear Theresa,
Thank you for kind words and the tip about the cranberry/cream cheese situation, I will definitely be back to validate that idea. I have to admit, after enjoying your cookies that afternoon, I've snuck in a few times for more. They've become kind of a default item for when I feel like cheating on my ever-ongoing plan to skinny up. They're well worth the guilt.


Dear Get Out!
I have enjoyed eating Chinese food all my life, but have only found good Chinese food in B.C. and San Francisco. I grew up in Vancouver, B.C. and as a family our cuisine treat was my dad taking us to Chinatown for terrific Chinese food. Later, I traveled all over B.C. in my job and ate Chinese food in every town I stayed at. I could always find good 'American/Canadian' style Chinese food no matter where I was at.

I should qualify that there is a lot of difference between 'real' Chinese food (duck etc.) and the Americanized Chinese food. I like them both. In B.C. I normally just order Chow Mein, rice, Chop Suey, Sweet and Sour spareribs and prawns.

Here is what I have never understood. Why can you get good Chinese food all over B.C. and only get "muck" in the states? I have always wondered why some of these Canadian Chinese cooks do not come down here and open up Chinese restaurants here? I still travel to Canada a lot and find good Chinese food in places like Penticton. Summerland, Kamloops etc. Then of course the ultimate is in Vancouver. It is real sad to say that the closest thing to edible Chinese food I have found in Cd'A, is at the Safeway deli. If you hit right, when the food is freshly put out, it is not too bad. Other then that, I think every Chinese restaurant I have tried in Cd'A is more "muck" then anything.

A real treat is to go to a Chinese restaurant in Vancouver and have a "Dim Sum" feast!! I assume you know what that is.

One caveat, I have never found decent Mexican food in Canada, so for us it is Chinese food in Canada (B.C.) and Mexican food here.

Roy
Dear Roy,
Honestly, I've never had Chinese foor in B.C., but I am fully ready to back up your cause. Where do we begin? We need a name, some t-shirts. "American Secret Society for Canadian-American Chinese in America". ASSCACA, for short. Er, maybe not...

Dear Get Out!
May I suggest a wonderful Cafe and lounge in Rathdrum call "CJ's", it s on Hwy 53 next to the feed store, the breakfasts are especially good, I'm a Sunday morning regular, try it, you won't be disappointed!

Jim
Dear Jim,
I've been hearing good things about CJ's from here and there, and that's comforting since I was honestly a little scared to investigate. No, it's not because of the infamous Burger Heaven article that had half the town wanting my head in a fry basket, I get the feeling they're over that by now. It's actually the fact that the building used to house El Molino, one of the most frightening looking Mexican joints I ever almost went in. There was a 117 year old man in a cowboy hat outside the crumbly, crusty place smoking and leering at me and no cars in the lot whatsoever, so I said "no gracias, Abuelito" and fled. From what I've gathered, CJs' owners have given the place a much needed facelift and are doing well, with big ads in the Nickels Worth and cover bands on the weekends. "Sweet Home Alabama" is calling...

Dear Get Out!
I just wanted to thank you for the nice story about Nina Mary's. My wife of 41 years, she has wanted to do this most of her life. She was very happy when some of her customers told her of the story. Thanks for putting a smile on her face.

Dennis.
Dear Dennis,
Nina Mary's is always a pleasure, and I was delighted when I returned a week after the review hit the streets to see it recopied and displayed loud and proud on the front of the place, next to the order window. Seeing my pieces hung up around town is always way better than the usual response (flaming bag of doo on the porch) and thank you for not just clipping out the column and showing my big scary face for the world to see. Which reminds me, I truly need to send in a new photo to the paper...
 

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Hey Get Out NI, here is great deal for your BBQ fans... ever want to be a certified BBQ judge -- FOR FREE? Here is your chance... The Pacific Northwest BBQ Association is short of certified judges for the upcoming "Smokin' The Coeur d'Alenes: Inland Northwest BBQ Championship." Here is the link: http://www.smokinidaho.info/

There is a catch, though, the training and the event will be held on Father's Day, June 20, at the Kootenai County Fairgrounds starting at 9 a.m. You must commit to judging on that day to get the certification for free (you will also get free admission to the two-day pitmasters event)...

Another benefit is that once you are certified, you can sign up to judge dozens of sanctioned BBQ events that are held all over the Pacific Northwest and Canada throughout the summer and fall seasons...

If you are interested contact Dave Hart at the 1910 Smokin' Wood Company at 208-640-0848 for details!

Heck I would do it if I wasn't already competing at the event!