Few people have as much North Idaho-ness running through their bloodstream as Kerri Rankin Thoreson. Her father is the legendary Ron Rankin, one of the most controversial and well-respected politicians in Coeur d'Alene's history. The apple didn't fall far from the tree, as they say, and Kerri made a successful run in 2008 for Post Falls city council, a seat she will hold for at least four years. She writes the weekly Main Street column in the CDA Press (see her blog here), one of few reasons to get one's fingers inky with a copy of that paper. She also works hard to actively promote North Idaho tourism and belongs to approximately 425 local clubs and organizations. She was kind enough recently to answer 9 easy questions about what puts the main in her street.
1. Favorite place to go for breakfast: American Legion in Post Falls on Sunday mornings. I like to flirt with the guy who cooks the eggs to order (my husband).
2. Favorite place to grab a sandwich for lunch: Big Bear Deli, cozy and friendly service and great variety of sandwiches.
3. Best Mexican restaurant: La Cabana, it feels like you're in someone's home for dinner. If they lived in Mexico, that is.
4. Best Chinese restaurant: Golden Dragon, when I do Chinese it's usually take-out. Old habits die hard and they've been around quite awhile in the neighborhood.
5. Best place to get sushi: Takara/Bonsai Bistro I like Takara ambiance and Bonsai is where I always see lots of people I know. Both have elevated sushi to a fine art.
6. Best fast food joint: Hudson's Hamburgers With just burgers on the menu, I don't have to make too many decisions. Visiting with the assorted Hudsons who are there on any given day and the lunch counter conversations with old timers are a big draw for me, too.
7. Most frequented bar or nightclub: I don't stay out late much but the Oval Office is great place to mingle during happy hour after work.
8. Someone offers to buy you a drink. What do you order? Iced tea or Diet Pepsi.
9. If you were a flavor of ice cream, what flavor would you be and why? Baskin Robbins Chocolate Peanut Butter. Having consumed as much of that flavor as I have through the years, I think it might show up in a blood test.