His work is eye-catching and bold and can be seen decorating the windows and tables of Baja Bargarita, in logos for Studio Capelli Salon, on business cards for the Torch Lounge, and most recently, something called "Karen is Dead" (I have no idea either), just to name a few. Adam was kind enough to share with us what local food and drink options put the drop shadow behind his sans-serif font. Check out some of his work over at the Aha! Creative Facebook page.
1. Favorite place to go for breakfast: Michael D's. Hands down. Their breakfast potatoes have special healing properties. And the Eggs Benedict never disappoint.
2. Favorite place to grab a sandwich for lunch: Gotta go with Caruso's on this one. Only place I can get a sandwich that tastes like something I would make at home. Eating out without feeling like I ate out afterwards is something I place a HIGH value one.
3. Best Mexican restaurant: I love Toro Viejo. No, actually I LOVE Toro Viejo. I can walk to the downtown location from our new office and Junior and his staff always make you feel like family.
4. Best Chinese restaurant: (Ed. note: he left it blank, which kinda says it all.)
5. Best place to get sushi: I've been really impressed with Syringa lately. I'm not a fan of
"real" sushi, but I do love a California Roll every once in a while.
6. Best fast food joint: I'm trying real hard not to eat fast food anymore. (But when I do I have to go with Arby's).
7. Most frequented bar or nightclub: I'm a huge fan of Baja Bargarita. We really don't make it anywhere else consistantly, but Baja is small enough to be comfortable with a group of people. The atmosphere there is really conducive for a laid back night out. Nuff' said.
8. Someone offers to buy you a drink. What do you order? If its a mixed drink, I'll usually have a Firefly™ and Water. I love Iced Tea, so it's a natural favorite for me. Sometimes I'll even put a little bit of lemonade in with it. If it's shots, I'll take some Hornitos or Patron any time.
9. If you were a flavor of ice cream, what flavor would you be and why? I'd have to go with Oatmeal Cookie Ben & Jerry's. The stuff is really amazing.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Many of you will know the notorious Q. from his appearances as my co-conspirator in many of my reviews. For some unkown reason, the Spokesman-Review editors decided at some point last year that they weren't going to print my references to Q. any longer and started replacing them with things like "my friend" or "my lunch partner". So if you were wondering where he went, he's still there but just hiding between the lines. When Quincy isn't excelling in his classes during his first semester at NIC, he's watching lots of bad TV, listening to Lady Gaga, and taking care of his adorable bulldog, Miss Bailey. Q. was kind enough recently to fill us in on what local food and beverage situations put the bluffin' in his muffin.
1. Favorite place to go for breakfast: I'm bored to death with the breakfast joints in this town. I suppose if I had to pick one it would be Mickey D's.
2. Favorite place to grab a sandwich for lunch: I'm not into sandwiches. But I do love a Red Robin special!
3. Best Mexican restaurant: I love me some Toro Vejo. The food and service is always super.
4. Best Chinese restaurant: Mmm...Chinese. A tough one for me. But I'm gonna go with Chinese Gardens.
5. Best place to get sushi: The very best would be Syringa. Small small small, pricey, but great sushi.
6. Best fast food joint: Bleh
7. Most frequented bar or nightclub: Oh that would be Mik-n-Mac's when I do go out.
8. Someone offers to buy you a drink. What do you order? Good 'ol Makers and Coke.
9. If you were a flavor of ice cream, what flavor would you be and why? Lemon ice cream! Nothing like a little sweet and sour.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
9 Easy Questions: Kami Jo Kiele
Some say it's good luck to give Mik-n-Mac's bartender Kami Jo Kiele's ta-ta a little squeeze, but try it without her permission and you will swiftly find out that action is very bad luck indeed, for she will have you in a choke hold, up the stairs and out the door in seconds flat. I've always told her I want a miniature Kami Jo to carry around in my pocket, and someday I swear I'm going to figure out how to make one because life would be so much better if I could have a dose of her sweet sass whenever I wanted, 24/7. Come down on Karaoke night and see her perform a live Country music video about a small-town girl who moved north to the big city (well, Cd'A is bigger than Kooskia), got a job as bartender/Queen B(eotch) in a sorta gay bar. Yes, she can take orders, pour drinks, wipe the counters and sing, all at the same time. Miss Kami was fab enough recently to fill us in on what kinda eat and drink puts the pimento in her cocktail olive.
1. Favorite place to go for breakfast: 4th St. Pantry. The best most delicious 24-hour breakfast joint out there, especially for the price.
2. Favorite place to grab a sandwich for lunch: Daaneas Deli. The most awesome fresh cut meat and cheeses with an aray of toppings and German chocolate and an amazing sellection of import beers.
3. Best Mexican restaurant: Toro Veijo. I feel that they have the best selection on their menu. It is such a wide variety and the absolute best chips and salsa and call margaritas.
4. Best Chinese restaurant: For egg rolls, Chinese Gardens. For everything else, Bonsai Bistro. They have he best General Tso's chicken: just enough spice. Beautiful.
5. Best place to get sushi: Again, Bonsai Bistro. They have one of the best cutters and rollers in town allong with the best atmosphere. Troy the manager is amazing at making everyone feel welcome and of course he makes everyone laugh. But the food, above all, is the best quality fish and such!
6. Best fast food joint: Wendys. I love love their new Spicy Chicken nuggets and their boneless wings are Grade A+. IF YOU HAVNT TRIED THEM YOU SHOULD YOU WILL BE BLOWN AWAY. They have the freshest meat and veggies, it is amazing. I know because when I was younger, I used to work there. A long time ago, lol.
7. Most frequented bar or nightclub: Mik-n-Mac's. It is a club for everone with the best specials and the widest array of music. The new DJ is amazing. Also DJ Funk brings a new vibe and no lie, he is amazing. Since the club has reopened it has had such a great vibe. No fights, and a friendly group of workers there. It feels like it did back in the day, like 6 -9 years ago. So much fun.
8. Someone offers to buy you a drink. What do you order? Yes, I will always take a drink from someone. If it's a shot I would do Patron or Red Stag. A drink - Firefly with 7UP and splash of coke and sour. Super yummy.
9. If you were a flavor of ice cream, what flavor would you be and why? My favorite is Cold Stone's Sweet Cream with Honey and Macadamia nuts. No joke, OMG it is sooooo good. If I were a flavor I would be Maple Nut. A little nutty with just enough sweet not to make you sick, but a back-in-the-day flavor, if that makes sense ha ha.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010